Monday, December 9, 2013

Learning to read

For the past couple months now, Vanessa has been asking to learn to read, as she wants to be a big sister and read her brother and sister "actual" stories not "made up" ones... 
I was thinking the "made up" ones are more interesting but I wasn't going to discourage her want to learn to read. 

So the next day I went in search of a book that would help me with guided lessons on where to start, so of course I hit up google, and started searching "how to teach your child to read" I ended up in amazon looking at a book " Teach your child to read in an easy 100 lessons" Before buying it I researched the book, and the reviews, which I was impressed by so I bought the book! 

I told Vanessa in a couple days we would start as mommy was waiting for a book to come in to help me help her read, and I swear it was as if I told her we were going to live in Disneyland, the excitement she showed was priceless.. It made my whole month :P

As soon as the book came in a couple days later we got right to work.. the first day she spent 35 mins practicing her "mmm's" and "ssss's" Within a couple days the "mmm's and sss's" turned into "aaa's, eee's" and before I knew it she was asking for different letters, and asking how to spell different words! She was getting SO excited as she started to recognize different words and ones that she didn't know she was sounding them out =)


 The Book we got (an amazing guide)
 Practice her letters
Practice done


So after a couple weeks of practice, she can read 2 pages in her book

I am beyond proud of her, her dream of learning to read is coming true and it's opening up a new world for her! 
I am looking forward to working with my baby girl more, I can't wait till she's at the point where she can read any of her books all by herself! 

No comments:

Post a Comment